TRIPATHY, Rangin P (Dr)
Assistant Professor of Law
|PhD (NLUO, Cuttack) 2015, LLM (NLSIU, Bangalore) 2010,
BA LLB (ULC, Bhubaneswar) 2008
|+91 671 2338014/15/16/17, Ext. 5027|
Dr. Rangin Pallav Tripathy has been teaching at National Law University Odisha since 2010. He completed his Ph.D from National Law University Odisha in the area of judicial performance evaluation and statistical profiling of judges. He completed his B.A. LL.B (Hons) from University Law College, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar and LL.M from National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore. He has several publications in referred journal to his credit in the area of judicial appointments, judicial accountability, human rights and rights of victims etc. He is currently associated with two projects from Department of Justice in the area of judicial reforms. He is also engaged by the Odisha Judicial Academy as a Consultant for preparation of research materials for Induction Trainees and Judicial Officers in refresher programmes and also regularly conducts lectures for judicial officers of different cadres. He has participated in several national seminars on various topics including surrogacy, role of Indian judiciary, judicial performance index, performance evaluation of teachers, right to information and juvenile justice.
Research Interests :
Access to Justice
Comparative Judicial Reforms
Legal Aid and PIL
1. Rights Without Law, 2010, VDM Verlag Dr. Müller, 1st Edition, Saarbrücken
Publications in Referred Journals
1. “A Critical Analysis Of Appointment Of Federal Supreme Court Judges In United States Of America”, Christ University Law Journal Vol. 5 Issue 2 2017
2. “Comparative Analysis Of The Consultative Process In Appointment Of Judges”, RMNLU Journal Vol. VII 2015
3. “Access to Justice and Judicial Performance Evaluation” NLUO Law Journal, Special Edition on Access to Justice (Vol. 2 Issue 1) 2015
4. “Defining Misbehaviour for Removal of Judges: The Logical Fallacy and Necessary Politicisation” NIRMA University Law Journal Vol. 5 Issue 1 2015
5. “The Demise of Consideration”, NIRMA University Law Journal, Vo. 3 Issue 1 2013
6. “Criminal Behaviour, Rational Choice and Moral Reasoning: Dynamics and Dimensions, NLUO Law Journal, Vol. 1 Issue 1 2014 (Main Author)
7. “Promoting a Notion of Refugee Protection: Role of Religion as a Value Influence on Law” (2012) 3 (2) GNLU Law Review
8. “A cause without a Voice: Right of Victims to Participate in Criminal Proceedings”, AILJ, 2010
1. “Critical Overview of Judicial Selection Methods” in Law, Judiciary and Governance, (Universal Law Publishing 2017)
2. “Chief Justice of India and Right to Information” in Dr. Sukanta K. Nanda (ed) Right to Information Act: Implementation and Challenges, (OJR Publishing Company 2017) (Co-Author)
3. “Constitutional Deficiencies in Redressal of Violations of International Human Rights Obligations in India” in International Human Rights Law: Prospects and Challenges (2016 RGNUL)
1. Co-Investigator in the Department of Justice Project on ‘A Comparative Analysis of Performance Appraisal Mechanisms and Schemes of Promotion in relation to the Judges of Subordinate Judiciary in different States in India’ being implemented by National Law University Odisha.
2. Co-Investigator in the Department of Justice Project on ‘An Analysis of the Functioning of Look Adalats in the Eastern Region of India’ being implemented by the Odisha Judicial Academy in association with National Law University Odisha, Cuttack.
1. Presented a paper on “Tribal Rights in the Context of Biodiversity Conservation- The Need of an Inclusive Process” in the National Seminar on Tribal Rights and Rights of Indigenous People organised by Madhusudan Law College, Utkal University on 29.03.2017.
2. Presented a paper on “Understanding the Idea of Public Interest in the Context of Right to Privacy and Media’s Freedom of Speech” in the National Seminar on Role of Media in Protection of Human Rights organised by University Law College, Utkal University on 18.03.2017.
3. Participated as a Leading Discussant in the National Consultation on Universal Periodic Review organised by National Law University Delhi on 29.04.2016.
4. Presented a Paper on “Chief Justice of India and the Right to Information” at the National Seminar on Right to Information Act- Implementation and Challenges organised by MS Law College, Cuttack on 28th February 2016.
5. Presented a Paper on “Constitutional Deficiencies in Redressal of Violations of International Human Rights Obligations in India” at National Seminar on International Human Rights Law: Prospects and Challenges organised by Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala on 20th February 2016.
6. Presented a paper on “A Statistical Model of Evaluating the Performance of Judges in India” at the National Seminar on Judiciary Ethics and Justice Delivery System organised by National Law University Odisha and Institute of Objective Studies held on 21st and 22nd of January, 2012
7. Presented a Paper on “Legal Response to Surrogacy Contracts” at National Seminar on Surrogacy in India: Problem and Law organized by University Law College, Utkal University held on 28-29 March 2011.
8. Presented a paper on “The Role of Indian Judiciary in the Absence of Implementing Legislation” at the National Conference on Indian Constitution in the 21st Century; A Conceptual and Contextual Audit at Bangalore conducted by School of Law, Christ University on 24th and 25th of February 2011.
9. Presented a Paper on “Performance Evaluation of Teachers; Emerging Dynamics” at All India Teachers’ Congress organized at KIIT Law School, Bhubaneswar on 19.12.2010.